Wednesday, July 29, 2009

White House Press Secretary Doesn't Know Where Beer Summiteers Are Staying...

Transcript from WhiteHouse.gov:
Q Any news on the beer summit tomorrow? One specific question: Where are Mr. Gates and Mr. Crowley going to be staying in Washington?

MR. GIBBS: I've got to tell you, I don't honestly know. I believe the arrangements -- their travel arrangements are being made privately. So I don't know -- I don't know if they're coming in and going home tomorrow. I don't know if they're staying -- I love these little flights over the mountains in Virginia; we had one of these flights in the campaign -- it was like this for about a half an hour, on a half-an-hour flight. So, yes, I was real excited to get back on that plane.

I don't know if they're staying or going back. All I know is, you know, we've got -- we'll see them tomorrow at the White House at 6:00 p.m. And I know -- I don't know if -- who is accompanying Mr. Gates. I know Sergeant Crowley is bringing some members of his family.

Q And is that going to be -- how is the press going to be handled on that?

MR. GIBBS: Delicately. (Laughter.)

Q I mean, is it going to be a pool spray at the beginning? I mean, what --

MR. GIBBS: Yes, my sense is what we'll probably do is a pool spray at the beginning.

Q Wouldn't a spray at the end be more useful?

MR. GIBBS: For who? For --

Q For America, it's his teaching moment.

MR. GIBBS: I'll take that under advisement.

Q Glenn Beck's comments, any response?

MR. GIBBS: No. I would be a busy man if that's all I did. I would say this: I think there are far more important issues than responding to somebody who is trying to get ratings.

Thanks, guys. Get buckled up.

Q Can I follow-up real quickly on the beer? All my folks are asking this. Any choices made on what beer the President --

MR. GIBBS: The President will drink Bud Light. As I understand it -- I have not heard this, I've read this, so I'll just repeat what I've read, that Professor Gates said he liked Red Stripe, and I believe Sergeant Crowley mentioned to the President that he liked Blue Moon. So we'll have the gamut covered tomorrow afternoon. I think we're still thinking, weather permitting, the picnic table out back. All right?

Q Thanks, Robert.