Thursday, July 23, 2009

More Sony Vaio Warranty Better Business Bureau Correspondence...

SONY WARRANTY CONTRACTOR NET SOLUTIONS REFUSES MY REQUEST FOR A FULL REFUND--ATTEMPTS TO CANCEL MY WARRANTY FOR FILING A CLAIM, DISPUTING DENIAL OF CLAIM:

FROM BBB:

Dear Laurence Jarvik :

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 7/20/2009 4:27:06 PM against Service Net Solutions, LLC. Your complaint was assigned ID 7935383.

The business has sent the BBB a message regarding this complaint, and we are passing it on to you. The contents of this message are below or in the attached document located in the link above labeled "attachment".

IMPORTANT

It is important that you let the BBB know how you feel about the company’s response and ask that you respond back within 10 days of this email, otherwise the complaint will be closed as “Assumed Resolved”.

Regards,

Better Business Bureau. Inc.


MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:


7/22/2009
Better Business Bureau
Attn: Randy Suffens
844 S. 4th St.
Louisville, KY 40203-2186 RE: Case # 7935383; Laurence Jarvik

Dear Mr. Suffens,
This letter is in response to a complaint submitted to your office by Laurence Jarvik. We apologize for the situation he has encountered.

According to our records, the current service contract does not include accidental damage protection. For this reason the claim for service is denied.

Mr. Jarvik’s previous service contract had accidental damage coverage, but the new contract, which is, in fact, not connected in any way to the previous one, does not.

We attempted to discuss this with Mr. Jarvik, but instead he reiterated his request to have both contracts refunded, stating his opinion that we are a fraudulent company. We advised him we will submit his current contract for cancellation but the previous, expired contract has run its course and will not be refunded. We regret that Mr. Jarvik remains dissatisfied but we can not provide the full resolution he requests.

The current contract was submitted for cancellation today, per the terms of the warranty agreement:

18. CANCELLATION AND REFUND. You may cancel this contract at any time for any reason. If You cancel this Contract within sixty (60) days of the date purchased You will receive a refund of the full purchase price less any claims. If You cancel this Contract thereafter, You will receive a prorated refund based on the remaining days of coverage on a monthly basis, less costs for service performed and claims (if applicable) and subject to applicable state law, an administrative fee of the lesser of 10% of the Service Contract purchase price or $25.00. We, at Our sole option, may cancel this Service Contract due to non-payment. If We cancel this Service Contract due to non-payment, You will not receive a refund.

Should Mr. Jarvik wish to discuss the contract details he may call the Sony Aftermarket sales team at 866-618-5776.

Sincerely,
Darienne Arcuri
Consumer Relations---

---
MY RESPONSE:

Better Business Bureau:

I have reviewed the response made by the business in reference to complaint ID 7935383, and have determined that this proposed action would not resolve my complaint. For your reference, details of the offer I reviewed appear below.

Dear Mr. Suffens:

Thank you for your quick response from the BBB. Unfortunately, Ms. Arcuri’s letter is unsatisfactory in every way and I reject Net Solutions cancellation of my warranty contract. Let me be clear:

1. 1. The damage to my wife’s Sony Vaio is not accidental, it is due to the failure of a part, namely the AC jack. I believe it should have been covered under any warranty.

2. 2. The issue of accidental coverage only came up when the company denied my claim on grounds that I did not have accidental coverage. Yet, I did in fact have such coverage in my original warranty—not mentioned by the company representative I spoke to at first. I believed my extension was on the same terms as the original. Of course, I would not have renewed for less coverage than originally offered. If I do not have accidental coverage in the second contract—the result of company deception, in my opinion—it is irrelevant to this claim since the damage is not accidental, but relevant to my belief that the company engages in false, deceptive, and misleading business practices.

3. 3. I had been promised that a copy of my renewal warranty would be emailed to me “within 24-48 hours” by “Samuel” when I called on 7/20. Today is 7/23—72 hours later, I have received nothing. Another deceptive business practice.

4. 4. I have no reason to believe that although they do not honor the current warranty, the company would have honored the previous one.

5. 5. Contrary to Ms. Arcuri’s statement, I am not cancelling my warranty. I am asking that the company honor its warranty. I should note that Ms. Acuri has never offered to fix my computer, which is why I purchased a warranty in the first place. According to my contract, the company may not cancel my warranty.

6. 6. Therefore I have asked, since the company admits to not honoring its contract, and will not repair the computer under warranty, to have a refund of all the monies I vainly paid to them in good faith for warranty protection.

7. 7. The fraudulent behavior of this company deserves to come as at high a price as possible. Simply offering to refund a pro-rated portion of one part of a warranty when a claim is made is tantamount to not having a warranty at all. The company is saying, I will keep your money if the computer does not need a repair, but refund a portion of it, if it does. That is not warranty protection—it is fraud.

8. 8. Therefore, I ask that the BBB insist upon a full refund of all monies paid for my warranties from date of purchase.

Thank you for your consideration in this regard.

Yours sincerely,

Laurence Jarvik


Regards,

Laurence Jarvik