Friday, September 10, 2004

CYA

As the most intelligent person I know pointed out regarding the 60 Minutes Forgery Scandal, the documents must surely be forged -- since no one who really wanted to cover his backside would put the term "CYA" on a memo designed for that purpose. As any bureaucrat knows, the only way one can properly cover one's backside is by not announcing that is the purpose of the document...

Here's some backup from a posting in the comments section of Roger L. Simon's blog:

Posted by: Terrye at September 10, 2004 07:28 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick B

No officer would ever use it on a memo. It would be dispositive proof of failure to perform or at minimum to report undue influence. Wouldn't look too hot in a court martial. "I knew it was wrong but I wrote this memo - see."

Thank you!

The "CYA" jumped out at me for exactly that reason.

I have to say this part of it is as shocking to me as anything, since presumably the staff members dealing with these memos are writers, at least some of them.

Seriously: I probably would only have noticed the problems with the type subliminally, but the "CYA" just smacked me between the eyes.

The entire point of a CYA memo is to CYA.
==============================================