Saturday, July 02, 2005

The New Sisyphus

I found the New Sisyphus via a link on Diplomad's old weblog. It's sort of interesting, though not as good as Diplomad, in discussing American foreign policy and the Bush "Democracy" doctrine. It has this quote from President Bush that bears thinking about:
So we made a decision to protect ourselves and remove Saddam Hussein. The jihadists made a decision to come into Iraq to fight us. For a reason. They know that if we're successful in Iraq, like we were in Afghanistan, that it'll be a serious blow to their ideology. General (John) Abizaid (Commander of US forces in the Middle East) told me something very early in this campaign I thought was very interesting. Very capable man. He's a Arab-American who I find to be a man of great depth and understanding. When we win in Afghanistan and Iraq, it's a beginning of the end. Talking about the war on terror. If we don't win here, it's the beginning of the beginning. And that's how I view it.