Sunday, August 08, 2004

Are New Yorkers in Denial?

Michael Powell thinks so:

"But not for the first time I looked at a fellow New Yorker and wondered at how resolutely we deny our unfortunate inheritance. Terrorists have come for us three times in the past 11 years. You are aware, I thought as Murdock talked, that almost 2,800 people died and the city's two largest skyscrapers disintegrated three years ago? That the same crew came within a few misplaced bombs of taking down at least one of those towers in 1993?

"In the end, I didn't pose these questions, perhaps because they sounded too argumentative and perhaps because of my own uncertainty. Am I so confident of my own rationality in such matters? I rode the A-train to the World Trade Center stop that brilliant late summer day in 2001 and came upstairs to the collective gasps of reporters and rescue workers as they watched men and women tumble through the sky. I heard the terrible groan of a tower cracking, and saw a thick, gray eight-story-high cloud roll toward me. "