Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Neighbor, Barack Obama...

Today's New York Times reported that Barack Obama lived at West 109th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in 1981, while attending Columbia University. At that time, I lived at 110th Street and Amsterdam Avenue--in the apartment next door to now-famous writer Michael Pollan and his then-wife, Judith. So, it was interesting to read that the neighborhood was apparently considered too tough for Obama, who moved to the Upper East Side, to East 94th Street. Of course, after Mayor Giuliani got finished, West 109th and 110th Streets were very nice addresses. What does it mean?

Not much, I guess, except that some of Obama's New York acquaintances of the period have accused him of "embellishing" his story of life in New York. According to the Times, a blog called AnalyzeThis pointed out some of Obama's stretchers--and argues they disqualify him as a moral force for good:
And yet I’m disappointed. Barack’s story may be true, but many of the facts are not. His larger narrative purpose requires him to embellish his role. I don’t buy it. Just as I can’t be inspired by Steve Jobs now that I know how dishonest he is, I can’t listen uncritically to Barack Obama now that I know he’s willing to bend the facts to his purpose.

Once, when I applied for a marketing job at a big accounting firm, my then-supervisor called HR to say that I had exaggerated something on my resume. I didn’t agree, but I also didn’t get the job. But when Barack Obama invents facts in a book ranked No. 8 on the NY Times nonfiction list, it not only fails to be noticed but it helps elevate him into the national political pantheon.