Friday, August 06, 2004

Meet Boris Akunin

The Telegraph has this interview with the author of The Winter Queen (discussed here recently) and Murder on the Leviathan (just got my copy in the mail, reading it now...):

"'Boris Akunin' is not his real name. Before he embarked on a life of crime writing, Grigori Chkhartishvili was deputy editor of a literary magazine, a distinguished philologist, translator of Japanese fiction, a critic and the author of the scholarly tome Writers and Suicide. This being Russia, home of the writer-as-sage, it is little wonder that he had almost a Japanese sense of shame that he was dabbling in a new-fangled, low-brow form of writing scarcely able to call itself literature. Hence the disguise. 'In the world that I belong to,' he explains, 'writing detective novels was just unthinkable. Even now, some of my old acquaintances look at me as if I were a defrocked priest or something. My mother often asks me, 'When are you going to finish writing this and return to serious writing?' She was a schoolteacher of Russian literature.' "